I found some pictures of cupcakes on the internet to use as a guide (I can copy but not paint from real-life or memory!)and painted them with acrylics onto thick acrylic paper.
In the meantime I covered some squares of MDF with a dark cream emulsion (I got a tester pot of the colour I liked). Once this was dry I marked out a border and painted this dark brown with acrylics. I probably should have used masking tape to get a neater edge, although I quite like the slightly uneven look, kind of rustic!
Once the cupcakes were dry I outlined them with a black colouring pencil, cut them out and stuck them to the boards with PVA glue. A few coats of clear varnish and they were done!
Anyway, apologies again for the poor quality pictures, still no batteries for my camera! But I will be swapping these pictures for better ones once I get it sorted!